- About CLU
- Green Justice Campaign
- Energy Efficiency Toolkit
- News and Events
- Past Victories
- Reports and Research
- Partner Organizations
- Leadership & Staff
- Contact Us
Our mission is to move strategic campaigns combining the joint power of community-based organizations and labor unions in order to protect and promote the interests of low and middle-income working families in the greater Boston area. Through a program of coalition building, research and policy development, public education and grassroots mobilization, we will move forward policies that promote quality jobs, secure healthcare and affordable housing for all of the Boston area's working people.
- Lead campaigns that increase labor and community organizing opportunities promoting quality jobs, secure healthcare, affordable housing and other community interests for low and middle-income families in the greater Boston area
- Develop strong in house research capacity to determine organizing opportunities and to educate people about the issues and interests affecting working families
- Provide training opportunities for labor and community leaders on economic development issues
- Foster the development of relationships between decision makers in community and labor organizations that can help groups in their individual organizing and collectively can begin to create a new progressive power center within the region
CLU combines the joint power of community-based organizations and labor unions to advance the interests of low and middle-income working families in Massachusetts. Our strategic campaigns promote quality jobs, secure healthcare, affordable housing, and climate justice.
We accomplish our mission through coalition building, research and policy development, public education and grassroots mobilization that move policies forward.
Our campaigns bring together low and moderate-income people already organized through community organizations and unions, who come together based on interest in the issues involved. We develop new organizing opportunities for community organizations and labor, and increase civic engagement. We also educate the wider public through our research studies, whose findings we disseminate aggressively. Essentially we are a new “think and act tank” coming from poor and working people’s perspectives.
CLU is fortunate to be able to build upon the existing strength of a number of different organizations in Massachusetts. These groups are effectively organizing and winning important improvements and changes for their constituencies. We believe the sum of this work can, over time, add up to even more than its individual parts. Together, we can change the economic dialogue and economic reality in our region.
Community Labor United is an incorporated 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.